JANUARY 2018 - Seasonal WX Week/Pacific Front Saturday

General Weather Discussions and Analysis

Re: JANUARY 2018 - Warming Trend Begins/Will It Last Long?

Postby MontgomeryCoWx » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:30 pm

Long range looks frigid if Pacific pattern and MJO hold... early february could be quite interesting.
Team #NeverSummer
MontgomeryCoWx

Postby sambucol » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:48 pm

MontgomeryCoWx wrote:Long range looks frigid if Pacific pattern and MJO hold... early february could be quite interesting.

Good!!
sambucol

Postby Andrew » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:07 pm

High level clouds are having trouble progressing eastward currently and you can really tell a difference. Temps from College Station southeastward have already dropped into the mid to upper 20s will west of there temps are still in the 30s. I suspect once clouds make it over the region in the next couple hours temps will stop falling but until then we could see a couple more degrees.
For All Things Weather Follow www.facebook.com/TxWeatherBoard
Andrew
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby DoctorMu » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:13 pm

KHOU BLake wrote:College Station officially came in at 15° but according to the NWS, 1 mile south of College Station, the temperature dropped to 11°.

Wow - but I'm not entirely surprised - I don't have our temperature gauge intercede with a computer of recording equipment, but we were down to 16°F IMBY about 2:30 am. Some of the Wundermap contributors were recording lower temps by 2-3°F than the airport when I went to sleep.The airport is on raised ground at the edge of the Texas A&M campus, and can run a degree or two warmer than our house at night in the winter, which is on the outskirts of town, near woods and farms.

Much of the wild and grassy foliage is amazingly desiccated. Will have to keep this in mind if it warms and we're without significant rain.

However, our bushes lucked out as the thin layer of ice prevented damage during the frigid night. Not too thick to cause damage sure to weight, but not too thin.
DoctorMu

Postby DoctorMu » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:31 pm

Andrew wrote:High level clouds are having trouble progressing eastward currently and you can really tell a difference. Temps from College Station southeastward have already dropped into the mid to upper 20s will west of there temps are still in the 30s. I suspect once clouds make it over the region in the next couple hours temps will stop falling but until then we could see a couple more degrees.

Crystal clear skies here. If the clouds are thwarted, we're on our way to the mid-teens again. Dew point of 11°F and 21°F. currently. Ice remains on the roofs. A few indy weather stations reporting 17°F and 16°F out on the edges of town.
DoctorMu

Postby Andrew » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:51 am

DoctorMu wrote:
Andrew wrote:High level clouds are having trouble progressing eastward currently and you can really tell a difference. Temps from College Station southeastward have already dropped into the mid to upper 20s will west of there temps are still in the 30s. I suspect once clouds make it over the region in the next couple hours temps will stop falling but until then we could see a couple more degrees.

Crystal clear skies here. If the clouds are thwarted, we're on our way to the mid-teens again. Dew point of 11°F and 21°F. currently. Ice remains on the roofs. A few indy weather stations reporting 17°F and 16°F out on the edges of town.

TAMU MESONET already shows 19 degrees and it is dropping steadily. Boundary is still staying pretty well southwest of the region.
For All Things Weather Follow www.facebook.com/TxWeatherBoard
Andrew
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Katdaddy » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:27 am

Another cold morning across SE TX with temps in the 20s across most areas with some teens N of Houston metro and low 30s along the immediate coast. The warming trend begins today and we will be in the upper 60s to low 70s with showers and a few thunderstorms for the weekend.

TxDot shows only 4 areas of ice this morning N of downtown Houston. One area at 610 N and US-69 and 3 areas along the Beltway 8 N at US-69 and near I-45.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-01-18 at 5.09.20 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-01-18 at 5.09.20 AM.png (177.58 KiB) Viewed 622 times
Katdaddy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby unome » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:37 am

ice locations changed already, be sure to check for the most recent info

exit ramp to Grand Parkway closed in both directions, per Message Signs on map

http://traffic.houstontranstar.org/road ... eonroadway

http://traffic.houstontranstar.org/laye ... e&nmd=true
unome

Postby snowman65 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:21 am

I'm currently showing 18 degrees at my house which is colder than yesterday of 19...crazy brrrrr....
snowman65

Postby wxman57 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:35 am

30 degrees in SW Houston this morning. Those low clouds that were just southwest of the city yesterday afternoon moved overhead and acted as a blanket.
wxman57
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Weather Forum