JANUARY 2018 - Seasonal WX Week/Pacific Front Saturday

General Weather Discussions and Analysis

Re: JANUARY 2018 - Cold Rain/Wintry Mix Possible This Week

Postby unome » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:48 pm

you can get a meteogram from HGX , just enter your City, ST or zip then click on the Hourly Weather Forecast image

http://www.weather.gov/hgx/

best to stay alert with all media though, I'll probably be glued to this board - I'm hoping they let our youngest son off work early so he's not on the road in icy weather
unome
 
Posts: 2213
Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:11 pm
Location: Cypress

Re: JANUARY 2018 - Cold Rain/Wintry Mix Possible This Week

Postby snowman65 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:08 pm

What is still missing to make this an all-snow event? Is it timing of the precip and temp drop combination?
User avatar
snowman65
 
Posts: 474
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:39 am
Location: Orange, Tx

Re: JANUARY 2018 - Cold Rain/Wintry Mix Possible This Week

Postby christinac2016 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:41 pm

The NWS has precip stopping sometime Tuesday afternoon. Was that always in the models / plans?
User avatar
christinac2016
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:18 pm
Location: The Woodlands

Re: JANUARY 2018 - Cold Rain/Wintry Mix Possible This Week

Postby MontgomeryCoWx » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:06 pm

HRRR and Texas Tech model blend would be a storm we would talk about for a while. The H would be a ghost town.
Team #NeverSummer
User avatar
MontgomeryCoWx
 
Posts: 879
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:31 pm
Location: Magnolia, TX

Re: JANUARY 2018 - Cold Rain/Wintry Mix Possible This Week

Postby MontgomeryCoWx » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:08 pm

christinac2016 wrote:The NWS has precip stopping sometime Tuesday afternoon. Was that always in the models / plans?


Late afternoon to evening north to south has been the forecasted timeframe
Team #NeverSummer
User avatar
MontgomeryCoWx
 
Posts: 879
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:31 pm
Location: Magnolia, TX

Re: JANUARY 2018 - Cold Rain/Wintry Mix Possible This Week

Postby KHOU BLake » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:24 pm

MontgomeryCoWx wrote:
christinac2016 wrote:The NWS has precip stopping sometime Tuesday afternoon. Was that always in the models / plans?


Late afternoon to evening north to south has been the forecasted timeframe


It's interesting but the HRRR only goes out 18 hours so I'm not sure how it stacks up for Houston as the model output ends before the main event begins but it does appear the snow is far more widespread to our north. I'm worried about the infiltration of dry air though.
KHOU BLake
Pro Met
Pro Met
 
Posts: 765
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:03 pm
Location: Spring/Woodlands

Re: JANUARY 2018 - Cold Rain/Wintry Mix Possible This Week

Postby KHOU BLake » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:28 pm

Latest HRRR (Rapid-Refresh 3km High-Res)
Attachments
HRRR.jpg
KHOU BLake
Pro Met
Pro Met
 
Posts: 765
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:03 pm
Location: Spring/Woodlands

Re: JANUARY 2018 - Cold Rain/Wintry Mix Possible This Week

Postby TexasBreeze » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:31 pm

That model appears like a widespread mess in the making for the area with heavier snow showers inbedded!
TexasBreeze
 
Posts: 481
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:46 pm
Location: NW Houston, TX

Re: JANUARY 2018 - Cold Rain/Wintry Mix Possible This Week

Postby cperk » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:33 pm

KHOU BLake wrote:
MontgomeryCoWx wrote:
christinac2016 wrote:The NWS has precip stopping sometime Tuesday afternoon. Was that always in the models / plans?


Late afternoon to evening north to south has been the forecasted timeframe


It's interesting but the HRRR only goes out 18 hours so I'm not sure how it stacks up for Houston as the model output ends before the main event begins but it does appear the snow is far more widespread to our north. I'm worried about the infiltration of dry air though.


Blake can you explain the dry air concerns you have.
cperk
 
Posts: 321
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:09 pm
Location: Richmond

Re: JANUARY 2018 - Cold Rain/Wintry Mix Possible This Week

Postby redneckweather » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:35 pm

Can someone post up the latest NAM? :)
redneckweather
 
Posts: 714
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:29 pm
Location: Montgomery, Texas

PreviousNext

Return to Weather Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest