January: Calmer Pattern To End The Month

General Weather Discussions and Analysis

Re: January: Arctic Front Thursday & Winter Storm Warning

Postby Paul » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:21 am

Andrew wrote:
randybpt wrote:Andrew, what makes you think that.



The flow and building of showers out west really show that there should at least be light precip for most of the night into the morning. I think points east will definitely have a better shot.



I agree......the setup is looking really good compared to some I have seen in 2009-2010....where the bands setup will be key to how much some get....south of I10 looks ripe with better lift but everyone should see something. Conroe should already be in freezing rain from the radar returns I have seen....
User avatar
Paul
 
Posts: 535
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:46 am
Location: Pearland

Re: January: Arctic Front Thursday & Winter Storm Warning

Postby Paul » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:22 am

Paul Robison wrote:Which amount of ice does more harm to roads/trees/power lines? One tenth of an inch or one half an inch? I'm going to go for a walk outside overnight and watch this is why I'm asking.



Jeff said .25 and above is where it gets dicey for power lines...winds will not help much either...my lines are buried thanks goodness :mrgreen:
User avatar
Paul
 
Posts: 535
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:46 am
Location: Pearland

Re: January: Arctic Front Thursday & Winter Storm Warning

Postby txsunshine82 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:25 am

Hello I'm new to the forum. Here in northern Liberty county we are getting light sleet, wind an ice is starting to form out here.
txsunshine82
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:58 pm
Location: Northern Liberty County

Re: January: Arctic Front Thursday & Winter Storm Warning

Postby djmike » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:28 am

Randybpt....where in Beaumont are you. Im at I-10 and Hwy 90. (College). I haven't seen anything frozen yet. Hopefully real soon! Although the sleet/Frz line has passed us for about an hour now and is slowly crawling southward.
Last edited by djmike on Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
Beaumont, TX
(IH-10 & College area)
User avatar
djmike
 
Posts: 630
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:19 pm
Location: BEAUMONT, TX

Re: January: Arctic Front Thursday & Winter Storm Warning

Postby Paul Robison » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:29 am

Paul wrote:
Paul Robison wrote:Which amount of ice does more harm to roads/trees/power lines? One tenth of an inch or one half an inch? I'm going to go for a walk outside overnight and watch this is why I'm asking.



Jeff said .25 and above is where it gets dicey for power lines...winds will not help much either...my lines are buried thanks goodness :mrgreen:



I suppose he expects .25 and above, huh?
Paul Robison
 

Re: January: Arctic Front Thursday & Winter Storm Warning

Postby Andrew » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:32 am

Paul Robison wrote:
Paul wrote:
Paul Robison wrote:Which amount of ice does more harm to roads/trees/power lines? One tenth of an inch or one half an inch? I'm going to go for a walk outside overnight and watch this is why I'm asking.



Jeff said .25 and above is where it gets dicey for power lines...winds will not help much either...my lines are buried thanks goodness :mrgreen:



I suppose he expects .25 and above, huh?


That will probably be a stretch. A tenth of an inch will probably be more likely. Remember some of it will be used to cool the ground. The ground isn't below freezing as of now. Bridges of course are more at risk. Depending on banding grounds could become an issue.
For All Things Weather Follow www.facebook.com/TxWeatherBoard
User avatar
Andrew
Site Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 2826
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:46 pm
Location: North-West Houston

Re: January: Arctic Front Thursday & Winter Storm Warning

Postby djjordan » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:32 am

Nothing but moderate drizzle at the moment with gusty winds. Temp is falling though so I expect the forecast is on track for the SGR area.
User avatar
djjordan
 
Posts: 913
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:19 pm
Location: Sugar Land/First Colony

Re: January: Arctic Front Thursday & Winter Storm Warning

Postby Kingwood31 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:34 am

Nothing but rain still in kingwood
Kingwood31
 
Posts: 140
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:47 pm
Location: Kingwood,tx

Re: January: Arctic Front Thursday & Winter Storm Warning

Postby Paul » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:36 am

djjordan wrote:Nothing but moderate drizzle at the moment with gusty winds. Temp is falling though so I expect the forecast is on track for the SGR area.



agree... the Sugarland airport has been reporting light snow since the sun went down...lol....it will be there though later so yeah forecast seems right....
User avatar
Paul
 
Posts: 535
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:46 am
Location: Pearland

Re: January: Arctic Front Thursday & Winter Storm Warning

Postby djmike » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:43 am

Periods of light sleet now in Beaumont. Mixing with the rain ofcourse.
Mike
Beaumont, TX
(IH-10 & College area)
User avatar
djmike
 
Posts: 630
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:19 pm
Location: BEAUMONT, TX

PreviousNext

Return to Weather Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest